Yusef Lateef Tribute Part 1





For liner notes and extras, click here: http://www.livebinders.com/play/play?...

As a youth, I grew up hearing jazz recordings that my father played on our stereo system. I heard artists like Brubeck, Ellington, and Benson and those recordings remain a part of the fabric of my childhood. When I got older, I wanted to explore jazz more deeply. I started by picking up staples like Miles, Brubeck, and Coltrane. Then, when I started to pick up artists with whom I wasn't familiar, Yusef Lateef's Eastern Sounds was one of the first because my friend's grandfather knew Lateef and it was recommended by the Penguin Guide. That album still remains a favorite.

When Lateef passed away, my collection of his work was weak. It took me a while to collect enough material for a worthy tribute. So, I finally have the opportunity for what I hope will truly be a tribute to Dr. Lateef. May he rest in peace and may his friends and family find peace and acceptance in their loss. Amin.